Gingered Pears and Waffles with Blue Cheese
- 1 3/4 cups milk, warmed to 110 degrees F
- 1 package active dry yeast
- ¼ cup Born Sweet® Organic Golden 100% Blue Agave Sweetener
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 lb. bartlett pears
- 1 cup Born Sweet® Organic Golden 100% Blue Agave Sweetener
- 2 2” cinnamon sticks
- 1 2" strip lemon rind
- 4-5 whole cloves
- 1 tablespoon peeled and sliced fresh ginger root
In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm milk for 5 minutes. Whisk in agave, melted butter and eggs. Combine flour and salt; stir into milk mixture with the ginger. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
Stir batter until smooth. Bake waffles in a preheated and greased waffle iron according to manufacturer’s directions until golden brown, about 3 minutes per side.
Quarter and core pears. Do not peel.
In a medium sauce pot over medium-high heat, bring agave to a boil with the cinnamon sticks, lemon rind, cloves and ginger. Boil for 5 minutes, stir in pears, reduce heat to medium low and gently boil for 15 minutes. Transfer pears in syrup to a serving dish or store, covered and chilled, for up to 3 days in the refrigerator.
Plate waffles with a wedge of blue-brie cheese, like cambozola, a layer of sliced pears, and microgreens then cover with a second waffle to make a sandwich.
Use a large mixing bowl to account for the batter rising.