Sweet and Spicy Agave Meatballs
Approximately 5 dozen meatballs
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 pound sweet or hot Italian sausage meat (beef, chicken or pork)
- 1/2 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 1/3 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, slightly beaten
- 3/4 cup (6 oz.) pineapple juice
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 8 oz. can pineapple chunks in juice
- 1/2 cup Born Sweet® Organic Raw 100% Blue Agave Sweetener
- 3/4 teaspoon crushed red hot pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with foil or parchment and set aside.
In a large bowl, combine all ingredients for meatballs until well blended. Roll into 1 1/2-inch balls. Bake for 30 minutes or until center is no longer pink and center reaches 165 F.
In a large saucepan, whisk cornstarch into pineapple juice then mix in remaining sauce ingredients. Bring sauce to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring; then reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 to 8 minutes, stirring constantly, until thickened.
Add cooked meatballs to sauce. Heat over medium-low heat for 5 minutes, stirring to coat. Serve warm.
Meatballs can be made with a 1 ½ tablespoon scoop so they’re all the same size.
Meatballs can be made in a skillet in batches over medium heat, turning frequently until done.